Yellow Tomato & Pernod Relish Recipe
I was craving flavours that tie the brightness of summer with deep cozy flavours of autumn.
Fresh, bursting yellow tomatoes, Pernod, and fennel made up the summer portion, while a long slow cooking time developed some brown flavours to deliver a dose of autumn comfort.
Add this stuff to sandwiches, stir it into pasta, put a dish of it out on a cheese plate. Anywhere you’d use a fancy relish or chutney!
Yellow Cherry Tomato & Pernod Relish Recipe
- 1lb Yellow Cherry Tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 1 Fennel bulb (thinly sliced)
- 1 Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1/2 cup Pernod (can be subbed for white wine)
- 3/4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1tsp – 1Tbsp Wildflower Honey (Add to taste. Will depend on the sweetness of your tomatoes)
- Salt to taste
- Olive Oil
- Sweat your onions, fennel & garlic in a wide pan with some olive oil over medium-low heat. Add a little salt to draw out moisture.
- Add tomatoes
- Cook it down until it’s just a sticky mess (30 or so minutes). Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add pernod, honey & lemon juice. Salt to taste. Cook another 5 or 10 minutes until the alcohol & liquid cooks out and you’re back to sticky mess consistency.