Skip to primary navigation Skip to content Skip to footer



Back to Blog

What to do if you eat a poisonous mushroom…

a close up of a sign

If you think someone may have eaten a poisonous mushroom: stay calm. In British Columbia, call the 24h hotline of DPIC (Drug and Poison Information Center) at 604-682-5050 or 1-800-567-8911, and contact your physician or local health care provider. Elsewhere, search for your local poison information center.

Make a note of where the mushroom was found (habitat and location), when it was eaten, how much was consumed, by how many people. Taking very good pictures of a whole mushroom, in multiple stages of growth and in it’s habitat helps. Photos of the fresh mushroom may be useful in identification – be sure to show both the upper and under side of the cap.

If possible, save a sample of the mushroom. A whole intact mushroom (including the base) is ideal. Refrigerate the sample in paper or wax paper– not a plastic bag.

If you suspect a serious poisoning, seek medical care immediately. Apparent mushroom poisoning may be due to food spoilage or other causes.

Handling mushrooms with care will not cause poisoning – wash your hands afterwards with soap and water. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers do not remove many toxins, and may in fact carry them through the skin.

Mushroom poisoning symptoms

More on poisonous mushrooms