Simple shrimp canape recipe – Roe, cucmuber, wasabi
I just got back from New Zealand and bought a gorgeous bottle of Alpha Domus chardonnay there. If you love a good chardonnay or want to turn someone into a chardonnay lover, this is the food pairing for that wine for sure. This shrimp canape recipe is pretty punchy and will stand up well to a powerful chardonnay.
Shrimp canape recipe:
- Shrimp 1 cup fresh
- 1 small english cucumber (the smaller cucs you get in mediterranean stores are the sweetest)
- 1/4 cup salmon roe – get it at Whole foods or Fujiya in Vancouver
- 100 grams bulgarian feta (or a creamy feta), get it at yek o yek in Vancouver
- 4 key limes (the small green ones), juiced
- 1 package poppyseed crackers
- 1/2 tsp wasabi, get it at whole foods or Fujiya in Vancouver
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sorrel (inc stems) or rocket with a drop of lemon if you can’t find sorrel
It’s so easy. Put the garlic, wasabi, sorrel or rocket into a morter and pestle or grinder and blend till you have a rough paste. Toss the shrimp in key lime juice. Chop the cucumber into 1/4 piece slices. Assemble, shrimp, cucumber, feta, garlic/wasabi paste, roe on poppyseed crackers and serve.
Note: If you can’t find sorrel in your grocery store. You can actually find sorrel in your lawn as a weed. Come out on one of our wild edibles trips to find out more about foraging for tasty ingredients around Vancouver.